COLUMN: Signs to look for and how to treat shock

Shock – not to be confused with emotional shock - is a life-threatening condition which happens when the body isn’t getting enough oxygen to the vital organs.

Shock can be caused by anything that reduces the flow of blood, such as:

• Severe internal or external bleeding;

• Heart problems, such as a heart attack or heart failure;

• Loss of body fluids, from dehydration, diarrhoea, vomiting or burns;

• Severe allergic reactions and severe infection;

• Spinal cord injury.

Symptoms to look out for include pale skin which may be cold and clammy, seating, a fast pulse and as shock gets worse the casualty may experience fast, shallow breathing, a weak pulse, grey blue skin, especially inside the lips, nausea and possible vomiting.

What you need to do...

• First you need to treat any cause of shock that you can see or that you have identified such as severe bleeding.

• You then need to help the casualty to lie down. Raise the casualty’s legs, supporting them on a chair, as this will help to improve the blood supply to their vital organs. If available, lay them down on a rug or blanket to protect them from the cold.

• Call 999 or 112 for emergency help and tell ambulance control you think they are in shock. If possible, explain what you think caused the shock.

• Loosen any tight clothing around the neck, chest and waist to make sure it doesn’t constrict their blood flow.

• While waiting for help to arrive cover them with a coat or blanket, to help keep them warm.

• Remember, fear and pain can make shock worse by increasing the body’s demand for oxygen, so try to reassure the casualty and keep them calm.

Visit www.sja.org.uk for more advice.

More from News