Grayson’s double fires Heanor Town

East Midlands

Counties League

Borrowash Victoria 1

Heanor Town 2

HEANOR Town shook off the unavailability of a number of players to put in a gritty, professional performance and earn all three points from August Bank Holiday Monday’s local derby at Borrowash Victoria.

Ashley Grayson netted goals either side of the break as the hosts were punished for failing to make use of long spells of possession as they ran into a stubborn visiting back four.

And Borrowash were not adept at taking their chances either with Marc Finlay heading wide a Luke Garton cross he might have been expected to have done better with on nine minutes.

Mark Frost made an excellent one-handed save to deny home skipper Sam Kelllogg’s 18th minute header for the top corner as Heanor struggled to put two passes together.

Indeed, the Lions hardly broke into the home half in the first half hour with Borrowash threatening to score again when James De Reus spotted Frost off his line and was only just off target with a long shot.

Heanor contained well, but gave their fans an anxious moment or two in doing so.

Then with half-time approaching former Lions custodian Steve Smith took Lee Stevenson’s free kick off Benger’s head, followed by Graham Wells heading over a Benger cross.

In a first half in which Heanor fans were more frustrated with the many strange and wonderful decisions and antics of referee Dixon, they had the nerve to take the lead two minutes before the break.

Dan Williams sent a great ball down the line to Jake Vernon who crossed into the path of AshGrayson who crashed the ball home at the second attempt after Smith had make a splendid block from his first full blooded shot.

Then in first half stoppage time Benger turned a defender and shot narrowly over the top.

If first half refereeing had been controversial, the second half got worse although there seemed little protest when Tom Leighton of Borrowash received a straight red card for what appeared to be an elbow on Ash Grayson less than four minutes into the second period.

This, along with what appeared to be the referee’s desire to even things up, spurred Borrowash and Dave Hind beat Brett Peel for speed but Frost narrowed the angle well to save.

The game continued to be frenetic and there was little quality about it, not helped by the referee continually stopping play for minor infringements.

One strangely awarded free kick saw Andrew Mottershead’s shot whistle narrowly over the bar, then, following another dubious free kick on 68 minutes Ash Grayson was adjudged to have held down a home player. Not one appeal from a Borrowash player but the referee awarded a penalty kick which Mottershead comprehensively put away. Even the home bench couldn’t believe their luck.

Four minutes later Nathan Benger headed a left wing corner back across goal and Ash Grayson headed Heanor back in front much to the delight of their big following in a best of the day crowd of 234.

The number of free kicks awarded against Heanor players seemed to suggest that the referee had parity in mind, but De Reus’s 76th minute effort was the closest Borrowash came to rescuing a point in a game plainly spoiled and which sadly never reached any great heights.

But three points was what Heanor came for and they have now won three successive games – all away from home.


Borrowash Victoria: Steve Smith, James De Reus, Luke Garton, Andrew Mottershead, Joshua Watts, Sam Kellogg, Danny Roberts (Callum Thompson 45), Thomas Leighton, Marc Finlay (Ben Greenhalgh 66), Paulo Piliero, David Hind (Shane Newton 60). Substitutes not used – Graham O’Reilly, Ross Cherry.

Heanor Town: Mark Frost, Lee Stevenson, Dan Williams, Ryan Cancellara (Danny O’Donnell 74), Brett Peel, Nico Degirolamo, Jimmy Gee-Pemberton, Ash Grayson, Nathan Benger, Jake Vernon (Dave Moon 90+3), Graham Wells. Substitutes not used – Lee Askham, Jason Foster.

Referee: Jonathan Dixon (Kirkby-in-Ashfield)

Attendance: 234

Star Lion: Ash Grayson

Yellow cards: Borrowash – Sam Kellogg (49 minutes), Andrew Mottershead (57 minutes) Heanor – Ryan Cancellars (26), Lee Stevenson (35), Ash Grayson (90+4).

Red Card: Tom Leighton (Borrowash) 49 minutes

Goals: Borrowash – Andrew Mottershead (penalty)68 minutes. Heanor – Ash Grayson 43 and 72 minutes.

Next in action

Saturday, September 3 - FA Cup, Extra Preliminary Round - Heanor Town v Boston Town, 3pm.

Central Midlands League - Belper Town Reserves v Heanor Town Reserves, 3pm.

Tuesday, September 6 (if necessary) Boston Town v Heanor Town, FA Cup replay, 7.45pm.

Or, if no replay necessary

Wednesday, September 7 - East Midlands Counties League - Heanor Town v Holwell, 7.45pm.