Drunken reveller assaulted his sister and left trail of damage

A drunken reveller went on the rampage attacking his sister and smashing a window and a scooter after drinking a large amount of booze.

Friday, 8th April 2016, 9:00 am
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Wednesday, April 6, how Troy Keeling, 22, of Stubbing Road, Chesterfield, had been to Birdholme social club before an ambulance was called for him because he was in such a stupor.

Prosecuting solicitor Rod Chapman said: “He had taken an inordinate amount of drink and he had drunk himself into a stupor and an ambulance had to be called but he refused treatment and returned to his mother’s home on Byron Road, Chesterfield.

“Keeling was in a relationship and began arguing with his partner who went back to her mum’s home next door on Byron Road.

“He tried to follow and he was angry that he was not allowed into her home so he gained entry by smashing a double-glazed ground floor window with a gas canister.”

Mr Chapman explained that after Keeling gained entry his mother and sister came to the property and as his sister intervened between Troy and their mother she was punched to the face by Keeling.

The court also heard how Keeling’s sister, his girlfriend and his mother fled and locked themselves in the other property as Keeling caused further damage to a parked scooter.

Keeling claimed to have no recollection of the incident other than waking up in a hospital with a police officer next to his bed.

The defendant pleaded guilty to two counts of damage and one count of assault after the incident on February 20.

Defence solicitor Felicity Coats said Keeling had not drunk alcohol for two years until this incident and even though he cannot recall what happened he accepts what people have said.

She added that his family has accepted his apology and his genuine remorse and they are maintaining contact.

Magistrates sentenced Keeling to ten weeks of custody suspended for 18 months and warned him that he had been spared custody by a “hair’s breadth”.

He was also ordered to pay £550 in compensation and stressed that if he re-offends he can expect to be jailed.