Violent drunk beat partner so badly she needed £1,200 of dental work

A violent drunk gave his partner such a beating she had to undergo £1,200 of reconstructive dental work.

Thursday, 14th April 2016, 4:47 pm
Updated Thursday, 14th April 2016, 5:27 pm
York Crown Court

The ferocious attack happened inside a seaside hotel room, where Ike Kirk, 29, from Bolsover, flew into a rage after wrongly accusing his partner of flirting with another man on social media.

York Crown Court heard that the victim had merely “liked” a Facebook message posted by a friend on Facebook, prompting Kirk to punch, kick and scratch her, before pinning her to the bed, shoving her against a wall and squeezing her neck so tight she struggled to breathe.

He then dragged her to the floor, sat on top of her and began punching her in the head while calling her vile names. One punch was struck so hard it caused the woman’s front teeth to bend inwards.

“She ran into the bathroom, locking herself in, with the defendant kicking hard at the door, causing holes,” said prosecutor Rob Galley.

Staff at the Resolution Hotel in Whitby heard the commotion and called police, who found the victim’s face and upper body covered in scratches and bruises. She had a swollen jaw and forehead, two of her front teeth had been dislodged and she was bleeding from her nose and earlobe. The worst injury was a hairline fracture to the side of her face.

The victim, who was named in court, had to undergo £1,200 of dental work to correct the damaged teeth.

Kirk, who had also smashed a bedside lamp, was arrested and charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage.

He admitted the offences, which happened in the early hours of November 30 last year, and a previous assault about four weeks beforehand, when the mother-of-two suffered suspected broken ribs.

Kirk, formerly of Beech Grove, South Normanton, appeared in court on Monday to be sentenced for ABH, damaging property and common assault in relation to the previous attack.

Mr Galley said the couple, who have since separated, had driven from Derbyshire for a holiday in Whitby to celebrate being together for six months. They had been out for a heavy drinking session in town and returned at about 2am, when Kirk became “jealous and paranoid about her being in a


David Camidge, mitigating, said Kirk, a fibreglass laminator by trade, had little recollection of the attack because he so drunk, but was deeply remorseful and had no previous convictions. He had since moved to the Isle of Wight where he had family and the prospect of finding new work.

Judge Colin Burn gave Kirk a 10-month jail sentence, suspended for two years, and ordered him to take part in a domestic-violence rehabilitation programme.

Kirk was made to pay the victim £500 compensation and a £120 court surcharge. He was also ordered to carry out 120 hours’ unpaid work and slapped with a restraining order banning him from contacting his former partner.