Man assaulted cops who saved his life

A JAIL sentence hangs over a suicidal Heanor man following assaults on the two police officers who saved his life.

A passer-by saw a car parked in Pentrich with a hosepipe attached to the exhaust at 9pm on November 5 and called police.

“The pipe was removed and, as a matter of good fortune more than anything else, the driver was found alive,” prosecutor Mike Treharne told Chesterfield magistrates.

William Brewer, who was very agitated and appeared to be drunk, was removed from the Vauxhall Astra and arrested but he struggled with officers.

Pc Matthew Copestake suffered a cut finger and Lorna Dashfield was bruised as they tried to put him into a police van.

Brewer, 37, was eventually restrained and handcuffed and taken to a police custody suite where he refused to give a breath sample.

“He said that he had split up with his girlfriend and he wanted to end his life. He took their jointly-owned car to Pentrich, taped a pipe to the exhaust and sat in the vehicle with the engine running.

“He said he was initially relieved that he had been saved but then felt he didn’t need police there. He said they became aggressive with him.

“At the scene he said he had drunk more than ten pints. He said: ‘I want to die. Just leave me alone. You are not handcuffing me’,” added Mr Treharne.

Brewer, formerly of Alma Street, Ripley, and now of Coppice Drive, Heanor, admitted charges of assaulting police officers, refusing to provide a breath sample for analysis and driving without insurance and a full licence.

The Codnor Gate warehouse worker received a 12-week jail term but it was suspended for 18 months.

He was also handed an 18-month probation supervision order, 150 hours unpaid work and a one-year driving ban. He must pay £100 compensation to each officer, plus £85 costs.

“It was clearly a serious suicide attempt but he has now come to terms with the breakdown of the relationship,” said John Last, for Brewer. “She said she didn’t want him to live with her and he hadn’t seen it coming. He drove to Pentrich and then got drunk and he decided there was no way out, and decided to try and kill himself.

“Police were injured trying to get him handcuffed and apply leg restraints. When they asked if he had a medical condition he replied that his heart was broken.”