Former drug dealer is given a chance after committing Derbyshire thefts

Chesterfield magistrates' court.
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

A former drug dealer and recovering drug addict has been given a chance to continue efforts to turn his life around despite being caught for thefts.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Wednesday, December 2, how John Litchfield, 33, stole a TV and a portable DVD player from Tesco in Ilkeston and a TV and a hat from Asda in Langley Mill.

Prosecuting solicitor Becky Allsop said: “He was seen to take the DVD player out of a box during the theft of the TV and DVD player belonging to Tesco and taking the TV off a display stand. He was identified from CCTV footage.”

He admitted this offence to the police and said he was on heroin and owed money and got about £100 for the sale of the TV.

The court heard that Litchfield was seen on CCTV during the second offence taking a box from a display stand and leaving without paying at Asda in Langley Mill.

Litchfield told police he was ill at the time of the second offence at Langley Mill and was dependent on drugs and he also told police about a previous theft of a tent worth £50.

Litchfield pleaded guilty to both the store thefts committed in August and admitted the theft of a tent asking for this third offence to be taken into consideration during sentencing.

The court heard how Litchfield is also currently on a suspended custodial sentence for possessing cannabis with intent to supply after a raid in Ironville.

Defence solicitor Natalie Clunes said these three offences of theft were committed at a time when Litchfield was having difficulties with drugs and as things got out of control he began offending to support the habit.

However, she explained that he has now been admitted to a rehabilitation centre and is making excellent progress.

Magistrates sentenced Litchfield to a 12 month conditional discharge but warned him that he would be resentenced for the thefts if he committed any further offences.

Litchfield, of London Road, Alvaston, Derby, was also ordered to pay £812 in costs, charges and compensation.