Careers cooking on gas

Gas technician careers
Gas technician careers

Gas service technicians install, service and repair gas appliances and systems. These include gas fires, boilers and cookers. They also include central heating systems and shower units.

So if you are interested in gas systems and you want a skilled and varied career, this could be an ideal choice.

To become a gas service technician, you will need to have good practical skills. You will need to be able to follow technical layouts and diagrams. You will also need a polite and friendly manner.

To qualify as a gas service technician you will need an NVQ Level 3 in Domestic Natural Gas Installation. You would normally need to be employed by a company to complete this. Or you will need to complete appropriate work experience.

As a gas service technician, you would mainly work at customers’ homes, or at businesses like cafes and hotel kitchens. Your job could include: installing appliances and systems; carrying out planned maintenance checks on systems and equipment; testing controls and safety devices to make sure that they are working properly; finding and repairing gas leaks using computerised fault-finding equipment; replacing or repairing faulty or old parts

ordering new parts when necessary keeping records of work you have carried out;

giving customers advice about gas safety and energy 

Your working hours would usually be 8 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday. You may have to work on a rota if your employer offers 24-hour emergency cover.

Most of your work would take place in customers’ homes or premises. The job can be physically demanding and may involve working in small spaces or at heights.

British Gas apprenticeship salaries are around £15,000 a year. Qualified technicians can earn between £19,000 and £30,000 a year.

Bonuses, shift allowances and overtime will increase basic salaries. (Figures are intended as a guideline only).

To qualify as a gas service technician you will need:

NVQ Level 3 in Domestic 
Natural Gas Installation (you 
normally need to be employed by a company to complete this); or appropriate work 
experience and training leading to safety certification through the Accredited 
Certification Scheme (ACS).

You will also need to have Gas Safe Registration (this used to be called CORGI registration).

See the Training and 
Development section below for more details.

Useful website addresses:;;;