Unbeaten run ends for the Lions

Heanor Town welcomed 19th placed Staveley Miners Welfare to The Town Ground on Saturday, looking to extend the three-month unbeaten run in the league, writes Tony Squires.

However, the energy of the young Staveley side against Heanor eventually ended in defeat.

The first half opened with a chance for Staveley’s Josh Scully, a 30-yard effort assisted by the wind being well held by Frost.

Benger, Blake and Debrouwer were the next to register efforts on goal. Blake was guilty of missing a sitter after Peel headed a free kick on to him in front of goal with the goalkeeper flapping.

Benger found himself with a free header inside the six yard back from another free kick in the 22nd minute.

Shaw’s delivery just missed the head of Heanor’s frontman who looked odds on to score.

On 29 minutes, Gary Webster showed why he is so valuable to the team. Staveley broke free and looked menacing after a Heanor attack broke down. Webster ran 50 yards to track back and tackle the onrushing Staveley forward.

It was Webster who had the next chance on goal. Neat control 25 yards from goal gave him the space to turn and strike wide of the goal.

It was on 43 minutes that the game turned. With Heanor tiring after such a compacted run of fixtures they really didn’t need to be reduced to ten men, however, Jared Holmes’s kick out at a Staveley defender who had just fouled, him made that happen. Heanor now faced a second half with ten men against a young, quick, energetic side.

The second half began with Lee Stevenson’s audacious volley at goal from 25 yards, it looked to be sailing in to the top corner until the last moment when the ball moved in the air only to find the side netting.

It was on 63 minutes that Staveley took full advantage of having the extra man. A ball wasn’t cleared properly by the Heanor defence and found Staveley player/manager, Colliver who floated the ball back in. The ball found Joe Flint who managed to divert the ball past Frost from close range.

Before Heanor had a chance to recover or mount a fightback, a measured pass from Scully found Nick Hague who spotted Frost rushing out to close the space for the winger. This gave Hague no option but to try the lob, he did and Staveley registered their second goal on 64 minutes.

Substitue Crosby found himself in space to cross the ball to Debrouwer’s head. However all he could do was divert the ball wide of the goal in the 70th minute.

In the 72nd minute, Jonathon Wafula headed over a Scully corner for Staveley after being given too much time and space.

Heanor continued to search for the goal that could turn the match back in their favour.

Going into this match, Kieran Debrouwer was searching for his 50th goal of the season, and he got it in the 87th minute. Surrounded by a crowd of defenders on the edge of the penalty area, he produced a fantastic piece of skill to beat three defenders and create space.

His right footed strike from the corner of the penalty area zipped past Townsend in Staveley’s goal.

It was unfortunately too little, too late as Heanor couldn’t turn the two-goal defecit round within the last few minutes.