Heanor Town hit late winner to beat Liversedge

Heanor Town scored a later winner to defeat Liversedge 2-1 after a dominant display.

After recent departures Heanor Town FC shuffled the pack ready to host Liversedge at The Town Ground, with Ollie Naylor, Matt Richards, Dan Hartshorne, Danny Booth and new signing Joe Swindell all coming into the squad.

Heanor Town FC v Liversedge FC

Heanor Town FC v Liversedge FC

The home side started well and a sweeping move in the third minute saw Debrouwer fire over after great passing movement by the midfield.

Nathan Benger, enjoying a starting role, took a shot at Dobbs in the fifth minute, but saw the effort collected comfortably by the man in the sticks.

Liversedge were struggling to cope with the movement of the Heanor side as they gave away a free-kick 20 yards out.

Sam Jones and Kieran Debrouwer both lined up over the ball, Debrouwer stepped forward and saw his curling strike collected again by Dobbs.

Liversedge claimed a corner kick in the 15th minute after a rare attack. The first corner was dealt with by a combination of Baker and Hawes, clearning the ball for another corner. This time the ball was collected comfortably by Baker.

It was Baker who proved more than able in the sticks with an excellent save on 32 minutes to deny Liversedge’s Joel Farrar.

The half came to a close with an audacious effort from Farrar, seeing Baker on the edge of the penalty area he decided more with desperation than any realism to attempt a lob, allowing Baker to collect with ease.

During half time, Joe Swindell, looking to make his debut for the club, took a shot at goal and suffered an injury in the process, which is believed to be ligament damage.

With The Lions receiving a reminder of their quality, the side returned to the field with a new determination that has not been seen for a number of games.

Debrouwer went on a trademark, mazy run and provided Sean Gregory with the ball, who saw his side footed effort saved by Dobbs before Andrews failed score from the rebound.

Sam Jones finally opened the scoring 53 minutes with a 30 yard free-kick. It was a well-deserved goal for the forward who had been creating chances and running selflessly doing selfless running and encouraging the team throughout so his goal was deserved.

Jones then fired wide from Marriott’s cross on the hour mark as Heanor pushed hard.

Eli Hey then had one of the rare Liversedge efforts as Baker scrambled to push the goal-bound effort wide.

Nick Hall then had a goal disallowed for offside on 80 minutes as Heanor looked to wrap up the points.

It was a costly decision as Heanor switched off as Farrar found space and managed to roll the ball under Baker and into the far corner for a goal that never looked likely to come.

But Heanor refused to be beaten and Olly Naylor showed neat footwork and close control to beat two men inside the penalty area and create space for Benger,f who fired home for the winner on 81 minutes.

Heanor: Baker, Marriott, Andrews, Booth (Naylor 73 mins), Hawes, Strzyzewski, Jones, Gregory (Richards 68 mins), Benger, Hall, Debrouwer.

Unused Subs: Shaw, Swindell, Hartshorne.