The Lane in the 30s

editorial image

HOUSES in The Lane can be seen here in a photo taken in the 1930s.

Notice the houses in the distance, almost right up to the side of the road, and the gas lamppost on the right in the foreground of the photo.

The Methodist Church, built in 1878, can be seen on the right.

Thomas White used to hold services in his house in Middleton Street to raise money to build the chapel.

The fund was eventually helped by a sum of money donated by a chapel in the United States.

The chapel still looks similar today.