An elderly man has died after a house fire in Ripley yesterday.
Emergency services were called to the property on Lowes Hill at about 10.30am on Sunday (November 6).
The man was taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre in a serious condition but he later died.
Fire chiefs have said the most likely cause was hot coals falling from an open fire that did not have a fire guard in place.
A spokesman for Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Sadly the gentleman who was rescued from the property has since passed away. Our thoughts and sympathy are with the family and friends of the deceased at this difficult time.”
At 1pm today (Monday, November 7), firefighters and community safety officers will be at Lidl on Chapel Street, Ripley. to provide residents with fire safety advice and reassurance. Further community engagement will be scheduled for the coming week and announced separately.
Anyone with information about the fire should call police on 101, quoting incident number 369 of November 6.