New £2.5m site gets green light

Mike Sparks a former asbestos inspector outside Heanor hospital.
Mike Sparks a former asbestos inspector outside Heanor hospital.

Plans to bulldoze Heanor hospital and replace it with a new £2.5 million care unit have been given the green light by health bosses at a public meeting .

Formal approval to go ahead with the plans was given by the Southern Derbyshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) governing body, after a three-month consultation period.

Speaking at the meeting, held on Friday, October 24, CCG Chief officer Andy Layzell said the decision had been a long time coming.

He said: “The future of Heanor Memorial Hospital has been an issue for at least 20 years, but nothing has been done and we decided it was time to provide a sustainable solution.

“As a group, the CCG are committed to providing good services on a local level, and the feedback we have had from people fills us with confidence that we are doing just that.

“We are extremely grateful to the people who have engaged in the process and given their views.

“The strong community spirit we have witnessed in Heanor has left a deep impression on all of us at the CCG.

“We now want to look forward and move on to the next stage.

“We want to continue development with the new unit without losing momentum.”

Planning will now be sought for both the removal of the existing building and the construction of the new one.

The decision comes after nearly a year of discussions and meetings with the public.

The CCG held a number of meetings throughout Heanor and the surrounding areas during the three-month period, which came to an end on Friday, October 8.