Mum’s plea to stop poisoning kittens

mia and star
mia and star

An Ironville mum whose three kittens were poisoned within the space of a month is calling for people to be more careful with anti-freeze and pesticides.

Leona Turner discovered Star, her seven month-old tortoiseshell, lying inert in the garden, one morning in February.

aaas

aaas

A blood test at the Alfreton Park Vet Hospital revealed that Sky had been poisoned with anti-freeze and she had to be put down. Less than four weeks later, Star’s sister, Sky, and Ted, a five-month old ginger cat, died in Leona’s arms on Friday, March 21, showing the same symptoms.

Leona, 23, of Albert Street, said: “I have no idea what the cause is. I would hope it isn’t malicious. They were only babies and they should have been around for another ten years. I was absolutely devastated. It is heart breaking when you have to say goodbye.”

The three cats were named by Leona’s three-year-old daughter, Mia. Animal-lover Leona, who also has two dogs and a horse as well, has since contacted the Enviromnment Agency for advice and knocked on neighbours’ doors to make them aware of the dangers of leaving poisons where cats can find them. She said: “I’d like to make people aware the dangers of using slug pellets, pesticides and other harmful stuff in their gardens that animals could get a hold of. I understand people do not want cats in their garden but there are safer ways of deterring them. I just want to make other people aware of other animals.”

Leona, who is studying web and graphic design at Nottingham Trent University, said a neighbour’s cat also died of anti-freeze poisoning in December 2013.