Man jailed for breaking jaw of 'Good Samaritan'

A MAN who broke the jaw of a "Good Samaritan" who tried to help him when he was drunk has been jailed for 28 months.

Gareth Davis, 21, knocked Adrian Boole out cold after the latter had found the former lying on a pavement.

Derby Crown Court heard Mr Boole needed surgery at the then Derbyshire Royal Infirmary to put a metal plate in his jaw.

Davis was out on licence for a similar previous assault outside a pub when he attacked Mr Boole on April 23 this year.

Gillian Foxcroft, prosecuting, said Mr Boole and a friend had been out drinking in Ripley town centre and were walking home when they saw the defendant lying on the pavement in Albion Street.

She said Mr Boole went over to see if Davis was all right but the defendant reacted aggressively.

"He grabbed hold of Mr Boole's shirt and pushed him against a wall," Miss Foxcroft told the court.

"He grabbed him by the throat and Mr Boole pushed him off and said he did not want any trouble."

Miss Foxcroft said Davis appeared to have calmed down but then punched Mr Boole in the face, knocking him unconscious for five to ten minutes.

She said he did not realise there was anything wrong with his jaw until the following day when he went to Ripley Hospital and was sent for surgery in Derby.

The court was told Davis had previous convictions for violence. Keith Raynor, defending, admitted it was a "bad record".

But Mr Raynor said Davis wanted to change and had been attending three programmes while on recall for the earlier assault.

"He recognises the residents of Ripley have become fed-up to the back teeth with his behaviour through drink," he said. "Through me, he states an absolute apology to Mr Boole for what happened."

Judge John Wait, who described Mr Boole as a 'Good Samaritan', told Davis: "You have a bad record, principally for offences that demonstrate you lose control of yourself when in drink.

"You have previous convictions for similar offences and this matter occurred when you were subject to licence.

"You had drunk yourself senseless and this young man came along, seeking to help you."

He continued: "You turned on him and then you launched out at him.

"You are a big man with a heavy blow and you broke his jaw. This was an appalling offence."

Davis, formerly of Ripley, pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.