Fire fighters fought a blaze at a house in Horsley for more than two hours on Sunday morning.
Around 20 crew members tackled flames at the semi-detached Church Street home from 9am until 11am - at one point using an aerial ladder to douse the fire from above.
The occupant of the house had made it outside before the fire service arrived and was later treated for smoke inhalation.
A spokesperson for Derbyshire Fire and Rescue said the blaze was caused by items being left too close to an open fire in the living room.
The flames had not spread to the neighbouring property - although the occupants were evacuated as a precaution.
Fire crews remained at the scene until 1pm.