Fire fighters spent more than three hours tackling a blaze on farmland at Nether Heage in the early hours of Thursday morning - which had spread dangerously close to an electricity substation.
Crews from Alfreton, Ripley and Crich were called to the land next to Ripley Road shortly after 1am, where 30 bails of hay were on fire.
It is believed the blaze was started accidentally by a bonfire which spread out of control at Charity Farm.
Close to 15 Fire fighters dampened the hay with water hoses - but the operation was made difficult by the high winds, a spokesman for Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service has said
The owner of Charity Farm used a tractor to move some of the smouldering bails to a safe location, with the blaze under control by 5am.
The substation and neighbouring farm building were undamaged
Station manager for Derbyshire Fire and rescue Service Steve Ratcliffe, who tackled the fire ton the night said it was tough to get under control due to the conditions
He said: “The first problem was the wind - conditions and the proximity to the substation. It was an extremely blustery night, which of course hampers fire fighting as it causes the fire to spread.”
“Everyone was okay, but the farmer lost a considerable amount of feed.”