Fallen honoured by church memorial

nrhn 280313 Cllr George Parkes and Honorary Assistant Bishop Rev Jack Nichols unveil a new war memorial at St James' Church, Codnor.
nrhn 280313 Cllr George Parkes and Honorary Assistant Bishop Rev Jack Nichols unveil a new war memorial at St James' Church, Codnor.

Fallen soldiers of Codnor have been honoured by an updated memorial plaque at St James’ Church, on Crosshill.

Chairman of Codnor Parish Council Cllr George Parkes unveiled the new bronze plaque - which now includes the names of the villagers killed in World War Two and those that were missed off the original plaque of World War One soldiers, alongside the Right Rev Jack Nichols on Sunday, March 17. He said: “A decision was taken in 2005 to bring the war memorials up to date. The parish council provided the funding to complete an up to date memorial and requested St James Church, Crosshill, to house it, for which we are all very grateful.”

This unveiling ceremony sees the fruition of many years of investigation to complete the

Memorial with names of parishioners who lost their lives in service during the 1939 to 1945

war. In addition, some names, not appearing on the original Memorial, are added from those

who fought in the 1914 to 1918 War.”

Councillor Parkes unveiled the Memorial Plaque and this was followed by the dedication given

by The Right Reverend Jack Nichols, Honorary Assistant Bishop.

The attached photographs depict,

Left: Codnor Parish Council, Chairman, Councillor George Parkes and The Right Reverend

Jack Nichols, Honorary Assistant Bishop