Homes bid is refused for the second time

Cheers were heard around the public gallery as re-submitted plans to build 79 homes to land west of Holborn View, Codnor, were refused.

Amber Valley Borough Council had already refused the Peveril Homes bid for houses and a ‘green buffer’ between Codnor and Waingroves in March. Planning board members saw no reason to pass a re-submission of the exact same plan on Monday night.

Cllr John Nelson said: “To me a democratic decision was taken at that meeting,that we went against officers’ recommendations and refused it - I see no reason why that should change.”

The defeated plan will now be subject to an appeal hearing in October.

Only two board members did not vote against the proposal on Monday - one of which was Cllr Alan Cox, who said he feared the council will only lose the appeal as it currently does not have a Local Plan in place.

“I think the best thing for this council to get on and get moving would be to approve this,” he said.

But for now there are muted celebrations from housing campaigners, many of whom made impassioned speeches against the proposal on Monday, stating access problems to the site and drainage as some issues. Sylvia Mason of the Amber Valley SOS group said the homes would ‘delete’ Waingroves by joining it to Ripley and Codnor.

Kevin Finn, 58, whose Eastfield Road back garden looks over the site, said: “We are very pleased the council has followed planning practise and taken the application down.”