MURDER TRIAL LATEST: Jury is sent out

Michael Moss

Michael Moss

0
Have your say

The jury in a trial into the alleged murder of an Ilkeston father-of-six has been sent out to deliberate its verdict.

Collette Booth, 47, of Mill Street, Ilkeston, Jamie Elliott, 27, of North Street, Alfreton, and Nathan Hall, 24, of Birchwood Lane, Somercotes, all deny murdering Mick Moss on January 30 at the Canal Street house where he had been living.

This morning (Thursday October 4) Judge Michael Stokes spent two-and-a-half hours summing up all the evidence for the 12 jurors.

He told them that manslaughter was an option for their verdict.

“The attack on him [Mr Moss] was unlawful,” he explained.

“It was deliberate. He sustained injuries from which he died.

“Anyone who was involved – and involved has other meanings – is guilty at the very least of manslaughter.

“Whether he or she is guilty of murder depends on the intention of the participants.”

He explained that Mr Moss’s ex-partner Booth is a ‘secondary party’.

“She wasn’t there,” he said.

“She had no control over what anyone might do who was there.

“But a secondary party can be guilty of manslaughter or even murder.”

He explained that if both Elliott and Hall are acquitted, she cannot be found guilty. If either of them is convicted of manslaughter, she cannot be convicted of murder.

The trial continues.