The detective in charge of the investigation into a former Heanor teacher who filmed girls in his bathroom, has told of the extraordinary lengths Russel Singleton went to.
Singleton, 56, of Lawn Close, Heanor, pleaded guilty when he appeared at Nottingham Crown Court last week to 21 offences of indecency against 11 females – eight of them schoolgirls .
He admitted seven charges of sexual activity when he was in a position of trust; nine of taking indecent photographs; two of making indecent photographs and three charges of voyeurism where he had recorded females for his own sexual gratification.
This week the officer in charge of the case has described how the former drama teacher at Alfreton Grange Arts College - formerly Mortimer Wilson School — spent thousands of pounds remodelling an area between his bathroom and an airing cupboard to create a cavity space in between the two, installing a camera facing out onto a two-way mirror which he used to spy on his victims using the toilet, bathroom and shower.
Detective Sergeant Toby Fawcett-Greaves revealed how Singleton used his position as a drama teacher to lure young people back to his home for rehearsals before filming them in the bathroom
DS Fawcett-Greaves, a police officer of more than 20 years, said: “I have never seen anything like this before.
“The lengths he has gone through to capture these images goes beyond anything I have experienced.”
Singleton was reported to police in 2012 when a 16-year-old reported him for sexual offences involving physical contact.
He was arrested and when a home computer was seized, police found the video footage, from which he had made several hundred still images.
His 11 victims of the various offences were between the ages of 13 and 24, all of whom were female.
In one case a victim was filmed in the shower.
DS Fawcett-Greaves said that Singleton kept the images to himself and never intended to distribute them.
“I want to reiterate how Singleton has acted alone in this venture,” he said.
“These images were purely for his gratification.”
“There is no evidence to suggest that he distributed the images.”
DS Fawcett-Greaves praised the victims - dating back to 2002 — for coming forward and helping the investigation.
He was also glad Singleton had opted for a guilty plea to spare them the trauma of having to give evidence at a trial.
He said: “It was a very difficult case, there were several hundred images,
“The success of this prosecution was as a result of the hard work of the investigation team, the Crown Prosecution Service and the victims that have come forward.”
Judge Michael Stokes said at the hearing: “This isn’t an occasional incident.
“He has carefully planned, pre-meditated and involved a large number of complainants.”
Singleton is due to be sentenced on April 22.