Driver who struck boy is banned from roads

0
Have your say

AN ALFRETON motorist who mounted the kerb and struck a ten-year-old boy has been banned from driving.

Donald Hough, 62, collided with the rear of a Renault Megane in Ball Hill, South Normanton, on the afternoon of May 12.

He reversed and drove away and, ten minutes later, the Diahatsu Fourtrack left Water Lane and collided with a schoolboy pushing a bicycle along the pavement.

Helen Griffiths, prosecuting, told Chesterfield magistrates that he again drove away and clipped a kerb.

A witness noted the car’s registration plate and police were informed. They went to the home of the registered owner, who explained that his father had been driving the vehicle.

Hough, of Chales Street, Alfreton, failed to provide breath specimens at the roadside and at Chesterfield police station.

Mrs Griffiths told the court that the boy suffered minor bruising and the occupants of the Megane, including a child passenger, were unhurt.

Hough admitted charges of failing to provide breath specimens for analysis and was banned from driving for two years.

He was also fined £115, with £85 costs, by the Bench who accepted there was some evidence he could have suffered a minor stroke.

Andrew Hollis, for Hough, said he had a lot of treatment for medical issues including Alzheimer’s disease and he had been signed off work for a year by his doctor.

“He said in interview he was shocked, surprised and upset about the incident and he was extremely sorry.

“He has no intention of driving again,” said Mr Hollis, adding that Hough had sold his own car and his driving licence had been revoked on medical grounds.