Cat dies after ingesting ‘large amount’ of antifreeze in Derbyshire

editorial image

The RSPCA is appealing for information after a cat in Ambergate died after ingesting a “large amount” of antifreeze.

One-year-old family pet Lexi was rushed to a vet on 20 April after she collapsed. Sadly, she was so poorly that she was put to sleep.

Tests later confirmed that she had ingested antifreeze, and it is thought that she ingested the toxic substance near to her home in Moorlands Road around 24 hours before she died.

RSPCA inspector Sarah Gardner said: “Lexi’s sudden death has left her family heartbroken, as she was a much-loved family pet and this has very much come out of the blue for them.

“We are very concerned that Lexi died after ingesting antifreeze, particularly as tests showed that she had a large amount of the substance in her body. We advise cat-owners in the area to keep an eye on their pets’ well-being and if they are showing symptoms of poisoning get them veterinary treatment immediately.

“At this stage we do not know if this was an accidental incident or deliberate, but we would ask for everyone in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals including antifreeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats.”

Anyone who has information on the incident should contact the RSPCA’s appeal line on 0300 123 8018.

Signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.

The signs of poisoning can include one, or several of the following: Vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures, and difficulty breathing

If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned you should take it to a vet immediately. If possible and safe to do so, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk, or the container.

The RSPCA is a charity and we rely on public donations to exist. To assist our inspectors in carrying out their vital work please text HELP to 78866 to give £3. (Texts cost £3 + one standard network rate message.)