Broadband campaign

Superfast broadband bid

Superfast broadband bid

1
Have your say

The Digital Derbyshire campaign, which aims to bring superfast ungraded broadband speeds to the county needs Ripley and Heanor residents and businesseas to back its cause.

More than 6,500 people helped Derbyshire County Council secure £7.39 million from the Government’s Broadband Delivery UK scheme by completing a survey following the launch of its Digital Derbyshire campaign.

Derbyshire County Council has committed more than £1million to Digital Derbyshire and has underwritten the remaining match funding to ensure at least £14.78million will be spent across the county on broadband improvements by 2015.

Over the next three years Digital Derbyshire aims to make superfast broadband – of up to 30mbs – accessible to 90 per cent of Derbyshire premises, with a minimum of 2mbs available to the remaining 10 per cent.

Digital Derbyshire needs to attract a private sector partner to invest in and deliver its ambitious programme.

To maximise the chances of doing this Digital Derbyshire must demonstrate a demand for better broadband – both from households and businesses.

People can show their support for the Digital Derbyshire campaign by completing a short on-line form at www.derbyshire.gov.uk/digitalderbyshire

County councillor Kevin Parkinson said: “We know there is a real hunger for better broadband in Derbyshire and have made it one of our priorities to deliver it.”

“We’d urge people to fill the form in themselves and to help family and friends to do it too.

Visitors to www.derbyshire.gov.uk/digitalderbyshire can also sign up to the new Digital Derbyshire newsletter which will bring regular updates on the programme’s progress.